Green Bay Packers’ Milwaukee Problem
On Sunday, I attended my annual Packers game with my girlfriend. I usually pick one game out a year to go, and we landed on Indianapolis Colts due to the early November date versus Houston in December. We knew it would be a Milwaukee game and coming from Cream City, we figured out the logistics. Little did we know when we sat down, Indianapolis Colts fans surrounded us. It didn’t feel like a Packers crowd, rather, 75 percent were for the home team while the other 25 percent were for the opponent. This needs to change.
Green Bay had no advantage from their fans. It’s not the reason they lost this game, but the comments from Aaron Rodgers regarding the ‘lack of energy’, it’s tough to get up for games when the crowd isn’t fully with you. The Milwaukee crowds put Packers at a disadvantage. People don’t use the seats like some of my friends who see it as an honor to get the opportunity. More people see it as a way to flip an extra dollar. The Colts fans in front of us paid 350 dollars for tickets. For two tickets, a person turned a 516 dollar profit. There is money to be made with selling tickets so that’s why there were copious amounts of blue and white in the stands.
How does Green Bay solve this problem? It’s a 100,000 dollar question. If they gave Green Bay season tickets all eight games, there would be outrage from the Southeastern Wisconsin faithful, but the front office has to be tired of seeing the opposition fill the seats. Packers might need to go with a plan of giving the Milwaukee crowd the two worst games on the schedule. To me, that would have been Thursday Night Football and the December game versus Houston. There would probably still be worried front office members that the disinterest in the game would cause more sales. At worst, they should space these games out more than a month. Two Milwaukee crowds in four home games doesn’t bring the noise like the usual home crowd.
This isn’t someone sitting on mount pious. I don’t have regular season tickets, but it’s a person who experienced a Milwaukee game realizing the energy in the stadium doesn’t compare to when the home crowd is there. Happy, they will be back in December. Not happy Green Bay is 4-4.