SnoTapWI Top Five: Favorite Milwaukee Bars
This is one of those top-fives that I have been circling for some time. I haven’t done it yet because we’re still two weeks away from the stay at home order loosening up. Three weeks away from the government’s social distancing rule. There is a good chance that we will not be at one of these bars until June 1st or later. Therefore, why should I tease the good public with the idea of going out to bars? That doesn’t seem right. Well, we’re doing it anyway, people. Here are my top bars. I’ve tried to keep them in different parts of the city but living near Brady, it heavily influences the list.
1. Nomad World Pub – Last year or so, The Nomad became the spot for my friends and I. It is a great bar to hang out on a Saturday night. The patio is always rocking in the summer. And their indoor scene is great too. The drinks are reasonable. And they have a shot deal involving Jameson and a PBR for five dollars. They’re the originators of that in Milwaukee. The crazy thing about my love for Nomad is that I’ve never watched soccer there. While that’s the main thing it’s known for, I know it for a place where I spend Saturdays with my friends.
2. Who’s On Third – Who’s is the sports bar worth recommending if people are going to something at Fiserv Forum. The only drawback is their internet can be shotty at best, but other than that, it’s a great bar. The drinks are affordable, plenty of TVs to watch your favorite sporting event, and the bar food is tremendous. They have a great assortment of food.
3. Hosed – This is easily the only dive bar on my list, but I will go to Hosed any time you ask me. I’ve never been much of a solo bargoer, and now with a dog, that will likely not happen. But if I were to pick a solo bar location, Hosed is the answer. Drinks are cheap, they’re always good about their TVs, and they have popcorn readily available. I don’t know if bar popcorn goes away due to the Big C, which I understand why, but bar popcorn can put a place over-the-top.
4. Camino – Here’s why I’m putting Camino on my list… There are certain places where you could ask me to go for lunch, dinner, or to hang out, and I instantly say yes. Camino is one of those spots. The vibe is always good there, food is delicious, and they have a great craft beer selection. Camino is an underrated afternoon spot. They have a great patio and friendly staff that can make you want to waste the day away.
5. Jo-Cats – This is a nostalgic pick and one that probably isn’t my favorite anymore. But if I left Jo-Cats off the list, people would have rioted. For a few years, I built a reputation on going to Jo-Cats regularly. The question ‘Cats?’ would always come up and we finished the night there. Last year was the first time where I realized I’m too old to be there. Cats will always have a special place in my heart and a great time if you’re under the age of 30.