SnoTapWI Top Five: Takeaways From Aaron Rodgers Press Conference
Aaron Rodgers met with the media on Friday. This is the first time Rodgers had spoken with anyone since the Packers drafted Jordan Love. Rodgers typically meets with the media around this time every year. People got all excited to twist his words like Mike Florio’s of the world. But in reality, he handled like a professional. Rodgers worked the room like a champion. He handled every question and provided thoughtful answers to all of them. Florio, ESPN, and others twisted some of his words of course, but I hope you seek out what Rodgers actually said. He did a great job with all questions.
1. Rodgers wasn’t ‘thrilled’ about the Love pick, but gets what the Packers are doing – This is how everyone would probably feel, right? You see the guy that could potentially take your job in a few years. That makes sense to me. Rodgers also got a question asked if it upset him that the Packers didn’t upgrade at the receiver in the first round. That didn’t seem to bother the Packers quarterback. More so, he lost control of his future with the team which is something Rodgers hasn’t deal with for his career.
2. Packers quarterback wants to finish his career with the team – Maybe this is revisionist history but can you remember an elite quarterback with this much passion to finish his career with the team that drafted him? I find it hard to see a comparison that fits honestly. Maybe Drew Brees, but the New Orleans Saints never put any pressure on Brees to leave. As some have written that if Rodgers finds his MVP level and takes his game to another level, Packers will likely trade Love versus trading Rodgers. They’ll start the process over.
3. Sports without fans doesn’t interest Rodgers – The two-time MVP is not protesting the idea of not having fans, rather, Rodgers talks about how weird it would be for him. But is it possible that Rodgers could get more free plays without fans? Think about it. The hard counts become even more pronounced and are louder. They do not get sucked under crowd noise at all. I get the idea of it being weird, but honestly, it might make Rodgers a better quarterback.
4. The Favre narrative about his relationship with Rodgers was wrong – When Brett Favre talked with Rich Eisen a few weeks ago, he said the relationship with Rodgers was a ‘good one’ during his time in Green Bay. Favre mentioned things getting blown out of proportion. The current Packers quarterback didn’t seem to agree with that notion. Aaron promised that things will be better with him and Love versus him and Favre. Also, Rodgers pointed out how he has always been great with his backup quarterbacks which is true.
5. Rodgers expects big things about his returning wide receivers – That’s not a shocker. But Rodgers seemed content with the guys the Packers have at the receiver position. He expects big things from all of the returning to the roster. I’d agree with him. Personally, the group of Davante Adams-Allen Lazard-Equanimous St. Brown sounds like your answer at the receiver. Marquez Valdes-Scantling was a factor in his rookie year and just lost his confidence. Don’t sleep on him either.
Anything else stands out to y’all?