I didn’t know if we would get a chance to do picks for the first week of the season. These will come Friday on most days, but since, I have a little time before kickoff, we should light this firecracker right. SnoTap is a work in progress, but we should have a legit product ready for you very soon.
5. LSU (-10.5) vs. Wisconsin (Played at Lambeau Field) 2:30 pm ABC – Here we go. Wisconsin’s third straight season beginning against an SEC school. This seems like a team that’s a year away from being really special. I love their defense long-term, but I’m concerned with what Leonard Fournette can do on the ground against them. This game is close until the fourth as Fournette and LSU’s other running backs wear down Bucky. LSU 27-14
20. USC at 1. Alabama (-12) (Played at JerryWorld) 7:00 pm ABC – It’s surprising how this game hasn’t seen as much hype as LSU-UW. Alabama is not on solid ground to start the year so don’t be surprised if USC is hanging around in this game. Trojans have their own holes as well in this game with Max Browne’s first start against the Tide defense, but he does have JuJu Smith-Schuster who is a good security blanket. Alabama wins this one, but it’s much closer than a 12 point spread. BAMA 21-20
11. Ole Miss vs. 4. Florida State (-5) (Played at Orlando) (Played on Monday) – These two teams could meet again in the College Football Playoff come December. Chad Kelly is a dynamic, underrated Heisman candidate, but he will need to use his legs to win this game. Ole Miss needs to replace Laramy Tunsil along with others. Freshman Deondre Francios gets the start for Florida State, but I’m not too concerned with him for two reasons… One is Dalvin Cook, the other is their offensive line is loaded. I like the Noles in this one. FSU 28-23
3. Oklahoma (-12.5) vs. 15. Houston 11:00 am ABC – This line keeps creeping up for Oklahoma. I feel the sharps know what I’m thinking about… The hype train is far too big for Tom Hermann and the Cougars. While this is their time to shine on the big stage, Baker Mayfield will remind people why he was a Heisman candidate. Samaje Perine is a forgotten great player for the Sooners as well. OKLA 38-24
Definitely Keep An Eye On
10. Notre Dame (-3.5) at Texas (Played on Sunday) 6:30 pm ABC – Longhorns feel like a good upset pick this week. Still so much uncertainty with Notre Dame’s quarterback whether it’s DeShonne Kizer or Malik Zaire, and their defense will miss starting safety Max Redfield who was a beast for this defense plus replacing Jaylon Smith. All that being said, Texas has yet to show if they have an offense plus other than the pass rush, questions are all over the place for the Longhorns as well. Irish pull away late. ND 28-17
16. UCLA at Texas A&M (-3) 2:30 pm CBS – Let’s all agree this isn’t an upset if Texas A&M wins. I’m mad Wisconsin plays during this one because I want to see how Josh Rosen handles the mean Aggie front seven as well as Trevor Knight’s first start for Texas A&M. Jim Mora and big games do not mix well. I’m taking the Aggies in a close classic. TAMU 35-31
18. Georgia (-3) vs. 22. North Carolina (Played at Georgia Dome) 4:30 pm ESPN – This should be some fun. I’m not sure why Georgia is favored in this game. They have a lame quarterback, Nick Chubb is coming back from an injury and a new coach. North Carolina is the opposite, and their defense will make a statement today. Carolina wins a fun shootout. UNC 31-24
Bet Of The Week
2. Clemson (-8.5) at Auburn 8:00 pm ESPN – Yes, Auburn is an eight and a half dog at home yet I still love Clemson. Deshuan Watson wants to start his second Heisman campaign on the right foot. Mike Williams is back from injury for Clemson, and that could spell trouble for Auburn’s defense. Sean White is not the guy I think that can hang with Clemson’s defense. CLEM 34-14
Worth a channel flip
Missouri at West Virginia (-10) 11:00 am FS1 – Keep an eye on this one with Missouri’s defense. They’re good enough to keep the Tigers in this one, but if history tells us anything, Dana Holgorsen’s teams always show up for September games.
BYU vs. Arizona (played in Phoenix) (-1) 9:30 pm FS1 – This would be our bar watch, but I’m running late on time. I will take the Cats because Taysom Hill is 26 and the leader of the Van Wilder team.
Sleep off your hangover
Bowling Green at 6. Ohio State 11:00 am Big Ten Network
Hawaii at 7. Michigan 11:00 am ESPN
SD State at 13. TCU 7:00 pm
Rutgers at 14. Washington 1:00 pm Pac 12 Network
Miami (OH) at 17. Iowa 2:30 pm ESPNU
SE Louisiana at 23. Oklahoma State 2:30 pm
UC Davis at 24. Oregon 4:00 pm Pac 12 Network
UMass at 25. Florida 6:30 pm SEC Network