SnoTapWI Top Five: Thoughts on Marquette’s Schedule
Marquette’s non-conference schedule got released yesterday. It is crazy that we’re already thinking about basketball next year when we could have basketball until mid-October. We are living in wild times. Marquette’s non-conference schedule is out. There are many things to discuss around the upcoming schedule for the Golden Eagles. They’re in a year where they’re considered fringe tournament contenders with everything having to go right for them. Here are five things I’m thinking about
1. Marquette is going to have their chances to bolster their resume: Looking at their opponents, they’re playing Oklahoma State, UCLA, and Wisconsin. All three figured to be tournament-quality teams. Oklahoma State is dealing with a postseason ban and will not be playing. If Cade Cunningham leaves for the G League, the Cowboys are a completely different story. If Marquette can win two of three, that’s a good start to the season.
2. December is completely hellacious – What a rough start to December. As mentioned with those three games, they come right in a row. That’s not easy. In one week, Marquette plays Oklahoma State and Wisconsin. They get a week off before UCLA but all three are hard. The young Golden Eagles team is going to need mental toughness. It is a good primer for the Big East regular-season though.
3. Getting fat on cupcakes – Paint Touches pointed out that Marquette plays a lot of meaningless opponents. The buy games are not great for the Golden Eagles. I know that makes people uneasy for two reasons. One, they do nothing for the resume. Two, if you happen to lose one of those games, the resume sinks like a Titanic. My defense of it, Golden Eagles are a young team that is playing some tough games already, they need time to gel. These games give them that opportunity. I’m fine with not bolster the resume through buy games.
4. What will Marquette’s Gavitt Game opponent be? – Marquette is going on the road for the Gavitt Games. The Gavitt Games have been a goddamn disaster for the Golden Eagles. The list of teams is Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Wisconsin. We can rule out Wisconsin. Maybe Purdue too since they played each other. If they want easy, Maryland is the answer with them trying to replace everyone. My guess is they’ll keep Marquette in the Midwest playing Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, or Michigan State.
5. Marquette’s December only gets harder with two Big East games – The Big East plans to start their season in mid-December to get to 20 conference games. The games will be before Christmas. Marquette is likely staring down a Big East game before or after the UCLA matchup. Let’s hope it’s not a sandwich of Big East with the Bruins being the meat. December is going to suck.