The Challenge ‘Total Madness’ Preseason Power Rankings
Welcome back. After a long hiatus, The Challenge Power Rankings have returned for this season of Total Madness. Why? Well, we do not have sports currently. This is our sport for the foreseeable future. It is on MTV at 9:00 pm CST. My goal is to find a way to watch either live on MTV’s streaming platform or the next morning. The rankings will come out on Wednesday then we’ll do a game-like recap on Thursday breaking down the episode. This is a little different than what I’ve done in the past but believe it’s the best option. The Power rankings will consider how well these players have done in the past and what we could see from each of them.
It should be noted before doing these power rankings. There is a massive twist in this season that is unlike the others. You have to win an elimination to get into the final. I’ll consider that in my rankings. Additionally, they’re living in terrible conditions this year compared to the luxurious mansions of the past.
1. Jordan – Jordan might drive people crazy, but he’s one of the best to do it. There is no reason to think of him as less than a top contender. Maybe having his fiance there will affect him? We’ve seen what happens sometimes with couples and Challenge competitions. They do not always mix.
2. CT – I did not watch last season, truthfully. I tried to prep for this season, but MTV’s streaming abilities are completely idiotic. He did come out victorious last year after some shadiness from Team USA, which is appalling as a lifelong CT fan. CT is a top contender again.
3. Ashley – She might be shady, she might be annoying, but she’s fucking good at this game. Ashley is one of the best political players that The Challenge has out there. Now, sometimes, people finally figure it out and knock those contenders out. I do wonder if the bunker conditions will mess with her high maintenance ways. We’ll see.
4. Tori – As I noted about couples with Jordan, Tori could be in for some added trouble. But she is one of the best Challenge competitors of recent memory. To not put her with Jordan as a top contender would be foolish. The girls’ group is good, but not great. It is missing top competitors like Ninja and Cara Maria which helps players like Tori out dramatically.
5. Wes – God, it pains me to put Wes ahead of Bananas but that’s where we are with The Challenge. He is still good even if he looks like Yukon Cornelius for this Challenge. Wes can compete with the best of them, but things have to work out his way. If they do not, he is screwed.
CONTENDERS WITH A FLAW
6. Rogan – He won last year after struggling in his first Challenge. We see that sometimes when a guy or girl falls flat the first time only to recover the second time around. The one flaw with him is that he has not been to elimination and to be in the final, you have to win one. That will not be easy for the young veteran.
7. Dee – One of the up and coming Challenge competitors in this game. She won last year and competed towards the very end in her rookie year. She can compete with the best of them. There is some drama with a former relationship, Rogan, which can muddy the waters when competing for a Challenge.
8. Johnny Bananas – This is the lowest I’ve started Bananas off in rankings. But the Michael Jordan of Challenges is looking more like the Wizards Michael Jordan. We saw Tiger Woods bounce back to win The Masters and have an excellent 2019 season. With a new type of game and living situation, maybe this is the thing to jumpstart Bananas.
9. Nany – Here’s the thing about Nany, she always gets real close then falls apart at the very end. She is the Minnesota Vikings of Challenges. She will compete and hang around for a while though. I don’t think this new format helps her cause.
10. Mattie – Here’s the thing, Mattie is like a laid-back Laurel. She has all the physical gifts to be successful and put herself into the contender category. But she quit on the final challenge last time around and that cannot be forgotten. Don’t be surprised if she makes a move next week.
11. Jenna – Can Jenna regain her swagger? In a way, she is the female Johnny Bananas. Jenna had a ton of success out of the gate then fell off in the past few seasons. Can she come back to form? The fact that Zach is not participating this season is a major bump to her winning this one. Elimination twist helps her but the underground bunker does not sound like her scene.
12. Kyle – The long hair is gone, but Kyle can compete. I would not be surprised if he finds himself at the very end. He has a little bit of the Leroy/Nany disease where he pushes it to the very end yet cannot finish. This is a big Challenge season for him to prove if he’s a one-hit-wonder from his rookie year or a legit competitor.
13. Kaliah – She can compete with the best of them. No one seems to involve themselves with more drama than her though. That can be a problem. But what I like about her chances this year is she has Nany and Jenna both here forming a natural alliance with the three of them. That cannot be discounted.
14. Nelson – Even though he is annoying and tries way too hard, Nelson should be considered in the mix for this Challenge. He loves eliminations and has thrived in that role before. As long as Nelson keeps his head on straight, he can be there towards the end.
COULD CONTEND IF THINGS GO PERFECTLY
15. Fessy – This is about as high as I’ll put a rookie. He carries a massive body and a former NFL player. We have seen bigger body dues thrive and fail at a similar rate. It is not a guarantee that he will contend but it wouldn’t shock me.
16. Kaycee – Again, she has the tools to win this thing with limited knowledge as a rookie. She is a professional football player and won Big Brother 20. I’m not going to count her out.
17. Cory – I go back and forth on whether I like Cory or cannot stand Cory. It is a season-to-season thing. He has never won a Challenge but always seems to compete. He has the motivation of being a new father with a baby on the way. That type of thing we cannot discount when considering who will be there at the end.
18. Aneesa – Yes, Aneesa is back for her 13th Challenge. She has never won yet. From my viewing perspective, she’s not one of my favorites. But this format suits her well. She thrives on eliminations. But players that have been gone for three years do not typically perform well after a hiatus.
19. Bear – This competitor is here for only drama and that’s it. I do not believe he cannot complete The Challenge crown. Maybe I’m wrong about him, but I don’t see it with him at all. The reason I’m keeping him above the ‘Not threat’ line is I do think he has some ability to be successful.
20. Asaf – He is a rookie from Big Brother Israel. He is a judo champion which makes me think he has what it takes to be a contender out of the box. But I need to see it first before I put him in either of the contenders’ categories.
NOT A THREAT TO CONTEND
21. Jay – I watched him on ‘Ex on the Beach’, I cannot see it from a physical standpoint. He will be popular with the females of the group, but that is where it ends. Also, he used to date Bananas’ girlfriend Morgan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Bananas holds that against him.
22. Jenn – A JEN WITH TWO N’S IS BACK IN OUR CHALLENGE LIFE! The rookie from The Amazing Race with no knowledge of the game or any of the competitors. The Amazing Race is the type of game that could work well with The Challenge, but the lack of knowledge feels like a big deal.
23. Big T – I’m going to be real here and say I don’t have much info on Big T besides she has a big heart per the bio on MTV. A heart can only get you so far in challenges.
24. Josh – Josh loves to stir the pot, but he is a shitty competitor. Think of Josh as a discount Cory. That is how I picture him. He will find himself in the mud but usually has nothing to show for it.
25. Jenny – Since I didn’t watch last season, I’m not familiar with Jenny. I went to her Instagram and it’s a shame I haven’t been familiar with her. From her bio, Jenny was upset early on when she seems like a competitor. That’s worth noting. I might be underrating her but who knows as she is unseasoned.
26./27. Bayleigh & Swaggy C – I’ve underrated rookies in these power rankings and it’s burned my ass. I cannot see it with Bayleigh and Swaggy C. She appears to be a drama queen which for rookies is usually bad news. And he seems undersized to compete with the big boys.
28. Melissa – There is nothing too special about Melissa. She had the big blowup with Kaliah who is in this season and something to watch for yet she likes the drama. I cannot see being there at the end.